Sunday, March 6, 2011

Several thoughts on life and new music









What a week it has been I'll start this post by saying that over the last few weeks I've definitely felt like my life has been setting up for a big transition. With friends getting married, moving away, and having babies it amazes me how fast time goes by. It seems like only yesterday I was teaching efy, serving my mission, and even starting college. Now i'm getting ready to choose the school to finish my degree and (hopefully) move out of my house. Looking forward I can't help but reflect on what I've done and how I can improve my life.



“Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt o
r afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelm
ing and the course is entirely uncertain.”-Gordon B. Hinkley


I've had some really great experiences at church the last few weeks and I can't help but notice a lesson I can take away from the lessons I've heard. I often find myself going head on into something when I make a goal or desire to change something in my life, but I often find myself falling back into old habits after going strong for a few months. I've often attributed this to my own lack of ability and place the failure on me for not being good enough. I've realized that I  don't need to fear anymore if I just take it day by day and put faith in myself and that god will help me if I just have 100 percent confidence in him and my abilities. Making gradual changes in my life to improve myself and having the confidence and love that I know I have and most importantly find the time to share it with those I love.

One of my favorite things to do when I'm contemplating so much is to write a new song and lately I've had a lot of great inspiration by some new music I've found in the last month.

1. mumford and sons- I really dig their sound..sometimes nothing is more powerful and personal to me than acoustic folk/bluegrass music. Accompanied by some of the strongest lyrics I've heard in along time this band has quickly become one of my favorites. Songs to look for are "little lion man" and "the cave."

2. band of horses- I know that alot of my friends have been big fans of them for quite awhile, but it took me over a year after buying their new cd for me to really give them a chance. I regret taking so long to finally listen to them. They blend alot of different genres of music together beautifully and have a sound that is totally their own. Many of their songs remind me of old classic rock but with an indie flair. I love their vocal harmonies. Songs to check out, "older" and "compliments".

3. cold war kids- My friend Ashley recommended them to me awhile back. Another example of a band I heard about but never got into til earlier this year. They have this really unique sound that blends indie, funk, and classic rock. lead singer Matt Maust has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. My personal favorites right now are "royal blue" and "finally begin" from their new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment