Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Forever and Always

So this might seem like a bit of a sad post but i promise it's only a passing day in a week that has been full of love and great new possibilities. Today my family attended a funeral for someone I've know almost all of my life. I've known grandma rose since long before I can even remember. Even though we weren't related by blood (she's my uncles mother) I still feel like she had a profound effect on my childhood. For over 15 years I remember going on camping trips every summer with my aunt and uncle and the majority of them were with Grandma Rose and Grandpa Gene. They were like a third pair of grandparents to both my sister and I. She was one of the nicest people I've had the privilege to know she's always smiling never saying anything unkind and always thinking of others. As we left the funeral today my sister and I reflected on some of the great stories and memories I couldn't help but reflect on just how much (and unexpectedly) life has changed over the last few years.

Its been almost 10 years since my Grandpa and Grandma Lambert passed within the space of three months.  The same day my Grandma died my Uncle Dave passed away from cancer. Two years later my Aunt Shirley passed away from Lupus. This time period in my life feels like an emotional blur I remembering trying my best to distract myself from what was going on around me. Trying to keep busy with school, friends, church anything to keep me from realizing how much I missed them and how different life was without them. While I was on my mission I found out that my Aunt Amy had passed away..leaving only my Uncle John and my dad as the only surviving members of the Lambert family.

Since coming home I've really been confronted by how much has changed in mine and my families lives in the last decade (especially after the funeral today) and how much I miss them all. They never got to see my sister and I graduate from high school, me go on a mission, go to college, and getting married. I'm so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel knowing they live on and I'll see them again. I came across this song by the band Parachute today and I'm amazed at how much perspective it brought me in this time of reflection. Even when life sends us a curveball and gives us what we never expected or wanted we can always reflect on the love that we had and still have with those people who mean the most to us. I'm so grateful to know that we're all going to be together again :) I will love my family forever and always.




1 comment: