Monday, May 14, 2012

"We read to know we are not alone"




There's something that has been on my mind and has bugged me  for awhile and that is that I love reading and I find it sad that we have a hard time finding the opportunities to read ( i can understand it being a challenge to find the time, I myself have a a huge backlog of books myself.) books can be a larger and more engrossing experience. I grew up reading everything I could get my hands on. I was really obsessed with star wars when i was a kid. I loved animorphs, harry potter, and tons of other great books. Reading the book of mormon changed my life and a lot of books have opened up my mind to looking at the world in different ways such as 1985, frankenstein, the alchemist, the peace giver, catcher and the rye. I remember reading the 6th and 7th harry potter books in 4 days as i went camping with my family. there's nothing more therapeutic than spending time outside in the peace and quite enjoying a good book. don't get me wrong i enjoy playing games, watching movies as much as anybody, but there's nothing quite like reading a perfectly paced book. I would never trade the time i've spent with a great book.  


I remember working an event for my job where I met an adult who couldn't reading my heart was crushed and made me thankful for the blessing it is to read. how many of us actually have been grateful for that gift? I understand we live in a world where we are busier and where we often would rather watch a quick tv show online, check Facebook, watch netfli rather than reading a good book. To me It illuminate my imagination and opens my mind to new ways of thinking and ideas. Studies have show if you don't use your memory, it becomes more and more difficult to remember facts that you have read.It is really satisfying to look at a shelf of books and say, "I've read every one of those!"I felt this way once I read all 7 Harry Potter books. I don't mean to stand on a soap box with this issue but i just wanted to hopefully shed light on why reading is so important in my life and hope that this post can make someone buy that book your friends have been talking about or maybe a series that you've always wanted to check out. Give reading a chance and you won't regret it! (sorry if that last line sounds like it's from an after school special). 
No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance. 
 - Confucius

The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries. 
 - Descartes

No comments:

Post a Comment