Monday, August 30, 2010

First Week of School and She & Him

Four days into the semester and i can already tell that this semester is going to probably be my busiest one yet! I'm taking 15 credit hours this semester in the hopes i can get 90 percent of my core classes done this semester. Then i can graduate in the spring while taking a few classes on the side and transfer to a University. I'm thinking of the U, Weber State, Byu-i, and Utah State right now. They all have good programs in my field of communications (my major). Before I can start thinking about graduation and transferring I have to survive the semester first! I'm taking biology, math 1010, us economic history, body strength and conditioning, and intercultural communications. 

Seems like a full schedule right? Wrong!..for some reason slcc has decided to start doing a program called e-portfolios which we're suppose to use to turn in an assignment from each of our respective general study classes and compile them into a school resume of sorts. Having no idea how to make an e-portfolio I decided to take a class to help me out. So instead of 5 classes this semester I have to take 6 :(. Lucky for me the e-portfolio class is only 4 weeks of the semester so hopefully I'll be done with it before any of my other classes start to crank up the assignments/projects. Overall I have to say I'm not as intimidated as I thought I would be this semester. It could be the fact that alot of my classes are spread out enough that i can catch up on my homework and reading without having to worry about juggling it all inbetween my shifts at work...or maybe Its the idea i can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Finally figuring out what I want to do in life is definetly liberating to my spirit and my mind. My teachers are all really cool too which is a first (every semester i seem to get one or two who can't speak english or just started teaching and have no idea how the class works!!). Although I have to say my biology teacher is probably the most interesting of all of my teachers. He is older so maybe that is why he seems to just love to be very....whats the word....stubborn, grumpy, strict? I dunno exactly how to describe him but he seems to always have a smile on his face expecially today when he gave us an extra credit assignment and told us if we don't turn it in when he wants it he won't accept it because "I'm on a deadline". Also during our lecture on the theory of evolution he actually used the words stupid and idiotic to describe peoples theories on evolution they had hundreds of years ago. Haha I guess when you get older you just stop caring about being nice and just tell it how you see it. I'll be sure to update on how that and all of my other classes go throughout the rest of the semester. 
Inbetween all of my classes I did get the chance to make it to a concert on friday! I'm a pretty big music fan as you will all soon figure out and I've been to enough concerts to lose count, but I always try to go to one because they're just so much fun expecially when the crowd is energetic and gets really into it. When I got thursday off and realized that the twilight concert series was having a FREE show I couldn't resist going!! It didn't hurt that the band that was playing was She & Him which is a indie band that i just love. I'll be sure to post a song of theirs on here. So decided I was going to go and I ended up going with my good friend Heather from work and her boyfriend. Unfortunately the concert didn't go as well as I had hoped...You see the Twilight concert series took place at pioneer park in slc this year. For those who  don't know Salt Lake City pioneer park is in a not so great part of town. Most of the time when I drive by there you can see dozens of homeless people sleeping in the park. 

Well you can imagine why the concert didn't go as well as i'd hoped. Though the park was filled to capacity with over 50,000 people (at least thats what they announced at the concert) There were alot of shady people there that seemed to just go for the free concert and get wasted on beer and pot. The sea of people was insane and I felt clostraphobic...not to mention after we left i couldn't get the smell of pot and beer off me (oh and two people were so drunk they literally fell on me which didn't make me too happy). Although She & Him rocked the park off and played a great set there were very few people getting into the music. Without a doubt this made me the most bummed. I think if you go to concerts you need to get into it. Rock out, dance, you know do something! Otherwise you end up looking like an uptight hipster too cool to enjoy yourself. If I wanted to just sit and watch a concert i could go home and watch a dvd. I think the whole experience of a concert is singing along and rocking out (no matter how awful you are at doing so). But I really can't say the whole night was bad because I got to hang out with good friends and the tunes were good. I just hope that in the future the promoters try to keep a more civil enviorment for a free concert in which both kids and adults attend. Here are some pictures too. Fyi if you say, Hey that looks like Zoey Deshanel from Elf, Yes man, and 500 days of summer your right!!! She is the She in She & Him. Wow I hope that made sense!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting concert. I only recently learned that "She" is Zooey.

    ReplyDelete